We are pleased to offer a variety of containers and services to our commercial customers.
Both can and container services are available
Schedule pickups up to 5 days a week (Monday-Friday)
On-call services - call before 5 p.m.
on the business day before the requested pickup day.
All containers must be available for service by 4 a.m.
on the scheduled pickup day(s).
Collection trucks run Monday-Friday including ALL holidays.
- Do not park cars in front of, near, or in the path of the container and/or enclosures. Our employees need room to maneuver containers without damaging nearby objects or cars. Containers with wheels are sometimes unpredictable and may shift suddenly.
- During the winter months, snow and ice must be removed from all sides, top, and the path to the container.
- Enclosure doors and gates must be clear of cars, snow and ice, and any other obstacles. They must open beyond 90 degrees to avoid damage to them.
- Collection trucks are 40 feet long and 8 feet wide. Please try to make the access approximately 50 feet long and 12 feet wide so that the drivers have room to maneuver into your container access without damaging anything.
- It is understood that these conditions are not always within your control and our drivers will do their best to complete your service as contracted. However, repeated trips due to containers not being available will be subject to service charges. Returning repeatedly increases fuel and time costs as well as related environmental impacts.
- Be advised that when severe winter conditions are present, there are times that our employees will not be able to move the container by hand. It is the driver's discretion to use a tow chain to pull out the container for access. If this is done, after emptying the container, the driver will leave your container in a safe location on your property and return it to its normal location when the snow and ice have been removed.
- When pickups are missed, please contact us as soon as possible for rescheduling.
- If your garbage was not picked up due to your container(s) not being accessible for pickup, please resolve the issue before calling.
Containers are available for rent through Tahoe Basin Container Service,
ranging in sizes from 1 cubic yard up to 8 cubic yards and may have the following features:
- Suggested where the container will need to be moved for loading or service by our employees.
- For safety and serviceability, wheeled containers must be placed on a level, paved surface.
- Suggested where the container will be placed on a sloped surface or will not be required to move for loading or access.
- For safety and serviceability, skidded containers must be placed on a hard, level surface.
Lid styles range from plastic to metal with bear-resistant features .
A "locking" bar suitable for a quick clip is installed on most covered containers.
If you choose to use a lock, it is your responsibility to make certain it is unlocked and ready for service by 4 a.m. on the scheduled pickup day. We suggest using a combination lock and to notify our office of the lock's code so we have the combination recorded for our drivers.
STR proudly participates in an active recycling program. All recyclables are processed in our Material Recovery Facility.
Protect our natural resouces by disposing of hazardous waste safely and effectively.
STR offers several sizes of debris boxes for construction, Cal Green projects and yard clean up.
Photo by: Jennifer Ward, Customer Service Representative
Pick Up Times
For Commerical Service Are Now 5:00 AM
In an effort to improve STR’s customer service, reduce wildlife problems and protect our unique environment, STR has changed garbage and recycling pick up times for all customers. NOTE: PICK UP DAYS REMAIN THE SAME.
STR thanks you for your cooperation with this project.
For additional information call: 530.541.5105
We have seen an increased use of totes throughout the service area. Totes are made of heavy plastic, with a fixed lid, a metal or plastic bar across the front and large wheels. Totes are designed to be lifted and emptied by hydraulic equipment, not by our employees.
Our collection trucks are not equipped to service them. Our employees are not able to service these totes. They are heavy and awkward to lift by hand and the bagged material is too heavy to lift out of the tote.
Trying to lift and unload without the proper equipment will lead to damage to the totes and injury to our employees. You are receiving this notice because you currently have a tote.
As of April 1, 2016, we will not be servicing these types of totes:
South Tahoe Refuse and Recycling will credit your account $25 each for your replacement cans, many of which can be purchased locally. Once your tote has been replaced, the credit will be applied.
These smaller wheeled and regular
32 gallon type garbage cans are acceptable:
- Garbage must be in suitable 45 gallon or 32 gallon garbage containers, with tight fitting lids.
- Garbage cans must weigh less than 60 lbs.
- Yard waste can be in durable, tied,plastic bags, weighing less than 30lbs.
- Our employees will not try to lift heavy bags, totes or deal with loose garbage. Bagging garbage also reduces litter and odors that attract wildlife.
Your cooperation is appreciated.
Important Tote Information