South Tahoe Refuse is working with the South Lake Tahoe Waste Management Authority, JPA, City of South Lake Tahoe, El Dorado County, and Douglas County partners, to aid residential homeowners in obtaining Bear Boxes.
Please keep in mind a few key points when considering participation in the Bear Box Loan Program:
Key points of Bear Box Loan Program
- The use of Bear Boxes must be incorporated with garbage cans, not instead of, they are not garbage receptacles. City and county ordinances require trash to be in containers, such as cans with lids.
- This program is available to residential property owners Proof of ownership through current tax rolls is required at time of application.
- Only approved bear boxes can be installed (edcgov.us/government/EMD/bear enclosures).
- Installer must meet all requirements/ordinances for installation by City/County/STR standards.
- Payments for the Bear Box Loan Program must be made separately to STR and are NOT included with regular garbage service bills. Homeowners will receive a separate statement for the Bear Box Loan Program.
- STR does not fix, maintain, or warranty bear boxes. Bear boxes are the responsibility of the homeowner, and must be kept free of obstacles/snow/debris to allow for garbage collection service by STR employees.
- Participation in the loan program requires loan documents to be signed before payment can be made to your installer. Until loan papers are properly executed you are responsible for the purchase of your bear box and any outstanding balances with the installer.
- The bear box loan program will pay up to $1300.00 to the installer; any amount above $1300.00 is the responsibility of the home owner.
Bear Box Loan Program Instruction Packet
The enclosed packet includes the loan application, step-by-step instructions for homeowners, and requirements for their installers when obtaining a Bear Box through this loan program.
Processing your application
To ensure processing of your application, please return the loan application, proof of ownership, and $50 administration fee to:
South Tahoe Refuse
ATTN: BEAR BOX PROGRAM
2140 Ruth Ave.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Be Bear Aware.
It’s always bear season in The Lake Tahoe Basin! Keep bins closed and locked, contain all garbage to protect from animal access.
Be a part of the solution to mitigate animal access.
Make sure to keep all animals out of garbage by:
- Making sure garbage is curbside no sooner than the morning of collection.
- Using cans with tight fitting lids, even inside bear boxes.
- Making sure bear boxes are secure.
Six At-Home BearWise Basics
- Never feed or approach bears
- Secure food, garbage, and recycling
- Remove bird feeders when bears are active
- Never leave pet food outdoors
- Clean and store grills
- Alert neighbors to bear activity