South Tahoe Refuse is working with the South Lake Tahoe Waste Management Authority, JPA, City of South Lake Tahoe, El Dorado County, and Douglas County partners, to aid residential homeowners in obtaining Bear Boxes.
- The use of Bear Boxes must be incorporated with garbage cans, not instead of, they are not garbage receptacles. City and county ordinances require trash to be in containers, such as cans with lids.
- This program is available to residential property owners Proof of ownership through current tax rolls is required at time of application.
- Only approved bear boxes can be installed (edcgov.us/government/EMD/bear enclosures).
- Installer must meet all requirements/ordinances for installation by City/County/STR standards.
- Payments for the Bear Box Loan Program must be made separately to STR and are NOT included with regular garbage service bills. Homeowners will receive a separate statement for the Bear Box Loan Program.
- STR does not fix, maintain, or warranty bear boxes. Bear boxes are the responsibility of the homeowner, and must be kept free of obstacles/snow/debris to allow for garbage collection service by STR employees.
- Participation in the loan program requires loan documents to be signed before payment can be made to your installer. Until loan papers are properly executed you are responsible for the purchase of your bear box and any outstanding balances with the installer.
- The bear box loan program will pay up to $1300.00 to the installer; any amount above $1300.00 is the responsibility of the home owner.
The enclosed packet includes the loan application, step-by-step instructions for homeowners, and requirements for their installers when obtaining a Bear Box through this loan program.
To ensure processing of your application, please return the loan application, proof of ownership, and $50 administration fee to:
South Tahoe Refuse
ATTN: BEAR BOX PROGRAM
2140 Ruth Ave.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150